Cultural Mediator Jobs Vacancy in Dansk Flygtningehj
Dansk Flygtningehj urgently required following position for Cultural Mediator. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Cultural Mediator Jobs Vacancy in Dansk Flygtningehj Jobs Details:
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the overall supervision and management of the Urban Aid Team Leader in cooperation with the legal aid officers and social workers of DRC urban team, the cultural mediator will provide interpretation and cultural mediation services from Arabic and French to Greek and vice-versa or in other language requested, if spoken fluently. The cultural mediator will facilitate the implementation of DRC’s integration activities in any way relevant to his/her position
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Provide precise interpretation for one-to-one individual legal counselling and social service sessions, case management for the DRC urban project team in the centre of Athens
- Provide interpretation and cultural mediation applying the principles of accuracy, confidentiality and impartiality at all times
- Assist in organizing and implementing info sessions and other relevant activities through outreach and info sharing
- Assist in the establishment of appointments for the legal aid team and the social service of DRC with interested PoCs
- Provide written translation of documents from Arabic and French to Greek and viceversa as well as in any other language requested, if spoken and when relevant to his/her position
- Enhance cultural awareness of PoCs and DRC staff through cultural orientation activities and mediation
- Provide basic information to PoCs, as relevant to his/her position
- Facilitates the flow of people to the different services and provides crowd control if necessary
- Other tasks as assigned by the Urban Team Leader
- Excellent command of written and spoken Greek AND Arabic and Kurmanji languages. Additional languages (especially Sorani) will be highly appreciated
- Basic level in verbal and written English skills will be considered an asset
- Extensive vocabulary and ability to accurately interpret and translate legal terminology, capacity to understand and translate, legal and procedural information
- Understanding of the legal framework in Greece and the asylum procedures, as well as previous work experience as an interpreter/cultural mediator with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Understanding of public sector in Greece and basic knowledge of social benefits and relevant procedures and terminology is desired
- Relevant training or certification related to translation or interpretation will be appreciated
- General administrative skills are needed, including competence with Microsoft Word, basic Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Ability to work with vulnerable individuals, from children to elderly
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the DRC values and ethical standards
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Application closes on the 8th of October 2018.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.